Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Devoted

The theme for the youth camp I'm going to this year is "Devoted". Which is super awesome because these next 5 days leading up to me leaving for youth camp are going to be full of examples of devotion...

1. My older sister (not blood sister, but my sister nonetheless) is getting married on Saturday. Obvious answer here is marriage is all about devotion to your spouse and all that mushy-ness. But it also makes me think of the years of friendship/siblingship(lol) Amanda and I have gotten to share over the past 7 or 8 years. Since 8th grade, there are few memories that do not involve her or her family in some way. It's been so great getting to learn how to be a friend to someone completely different than me, but if you saw her and I together now, you'd probably say we were a lot alike. I'm so so excited for her and this journey she is getting started on and am even more excited that I'm going to get to play a small part in her big day.

2. My papa is also getting married this weekend, on Sunday. This marriage is different than the one above for a couple different reasons. My papa and his soon to be wife are Muslim. I've never been to a Muslim wedding even though I've been around them quite often for the past 20 years. I'm very curious and excited to see how their traditions are different than ours. The part where devotion comes into play on this one is kind of tricky. See, my granny just passed away last August. It's been less than a year and my papa is already getting re-married. At first, I was taken aback about how quickly it all was happening, but after having a deeper conversation with my papa, his devotion to my granny was ringing through loud and clear. Before she passed, they had multiple conversations about them not wanting the other to be alone when one passed away. So, by getting remarried, my papa is showing how devoted he was and is to my granny by moving on with his life the way she would have wanted him to. What a cool display of love. I'm glad to be apart of such a family.

On an even bigger scale, all the family and friends that are going to be in attendance at both weddings are another sign of devotion. Each person at the wedding will have had some impact on the bride and groom's life whether big or small. They are going to be there as a sign of their devotion the individual and ultimately the couple. How cool?! Ice cold.

So, in these next few days, I'm going to be getting a lot of devotion thrown at me. God's perfect timing? I think, yes. Who could have planned this in a more appropriate way? None other than the creator of all.

I'm grateful to be co-leading with one of my best friends in the world, Daniel, next week at camp. It's going to be such a fulfilling week of worship and quiet time with the Lord, which is desperately needed in my life right at this moment. Something is telling me that I may be learning a lot more from my family group then I'll be teaching them.

T-minus 8 days until Karla is stateside again. I'm a little A LOT excited.

Cheers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment