Sunday, April 10, 2011

Another Break Up Song

This weekend has been successful and stressful...but I'm so confident that God has cool things in the workings. :)

Now, for a bit of rambling...

So, I have this journal that is pretty much my favorite journal of all because at the top of the pages, there are quotes from some of the best literature of all time. Which, if you know me at all, is the coolest thing ever. There have been so many books that have inspired and stretched my mind that I couldn't possibly explain how much I love love love reading.

In high school, I pretty much never read the books assigned to me...or if I did it would just the Spark Notes of the chapter we were quizzed on. Well, my junior year, I was introduced to a book that kind of changed my life at that point in time. The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien is one of the most heart-wrenching, mind-bending and thought-provoking stories I've ever read. It's based on O'Brien's experiences in Vietnam. If I get any further into the description, y'all will be reading a book review. haha. SO. I'll just give you my favorite quote from the book:

"By telling stories, you objectify your own experience. You separate it from yourself. You pin down certain truths. You make up others. You start sometimes with an incident that truly happened...and you carry it forward by inventing incidents that did not in fact occur but that nonetheless help to clarify and explain."

Ah, I love it. I'll let you decide what it means for your life.

I think for my next post, I'll tell about more of my favorite quotations from some of my favorite books. Looking back on stuff like that, helps me remember how the Lord used those books to teach me life lessons.

Do you have a favorite quotation from a book? How did it help you get through a certain part of life?

Such cool things to explore in books and I plan to not ever stop devouring any book I can get my hands on.

Cheers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment